2022 Lead with Pride Co-Chair Position Description
Classification: Student Volunteer Opportunity
Start date: May 16, 2022
End date: November 11, 2022
Hours: Part-time; Approximate time commitment will be 10-20 hours/ month (May 2022-August 2022); 15-25 hours/month (August 2022 – October/November 2022). Hours will be Mon-Fri, some evenings may be required
The Lead with Pride Co-Chairs are student leaders who are volunteers responsible for collaborating with staff and students to lead the planning and execution of the 2022 Virtual Lead with Pride: U of T’s 2LGBTQ+ Student Leadership Conference. This conference is an interactive conference in October/November that will bring 2SLGBTQ+ students together to learn about leadership and community building on the University of Toronto campuses and beyond.
Lead with Pride began in 2009 as an opportunity for student leaders to gain skills to make a positive impact on the University of Toronto. Today, the conference has grown to support current students in strengthening their skills and knowledge as leaders in a range of contexts, deepen their knowledge about anti-oppression work and 2SLGBTQ+ identities and communities, as well as expanding and diversifying 2SLGBTQ+ student leadership at U of T.
Lead With Pride is organized by a volunteer team of students led by the two (2) Lead with Pride Co-Chairs and one (1) staff member at the U of T Sexual & Gender Diversity Office.
This year we are excited to announce that we are offering a modest honouraria of $500 each for the 2 co-chair positions.
The role of the Lead with Pride Co-Chairs is to provide leadership, coordination, and direction to the planning of the Lead with Pride events in Fall semester, 2022. The Co-Chairs will work with the Sexual & Gender Diversity Office to engage in outreach, recruitment, coordination, and organization of the Lead with Pride student organizing committee.
The Sexual & Gender Diversity Office is committed to prioritizing U of T’s equity principles in all aspects of our programming and services. We encourage students to apply for this position who are 2SLGBTQ+ and Black and/or Indigenous, students of colour, disabled, coming from working-class backgrounds, international students, and/or students who are of an immigrant experience.
- Attend 2 monthly Lead with Pride Planning Meetings (May 2022-August 2022 and 2 weekly Lead with Pride Planning meetings (August 2022 – October/November 2022)
- Provide leadership and direction in selecting Conference themes and programming
- Support the outreach, recruitment, selection and coordination of the Lead with Pride student organizing committee (up to 5 members)
- Provide insight and support in exploring collaboration and outreach opportunities with a specific prioritization of students whose identities are often marginalized within and outside of 2SLGBTQ+ communities
- Support Lead with Pride in building partnerships With UofT community and external facilitators
- Build a vision for an inclusive conference that caters to the unique needs of the diverse 2SLGBTQ+ student communities across all three U of T campuses
- An engaged student who has lived experience around 2SLGBTQ+ issues
- Work or volunteer experience in at least one of the following:
- Event organizing
- Conference planning
- Student or volunteer engagement, support, and/or coordination
- Community organizing and outreach
- Demonstrated leadership skills; adept at working independently and in a team and committee environment
- Strong time management and organization skills
- Aptitude for problem-solving and ability to think critically and creatively
- An interest in expanding personal knowledge of leadership and sexual and gender diversity
- Student must be available to attend 2 monthly Lead with Pride Planning Meetings (May 2022-August 2022 and 2 weekly Lead with Pride Planning meetings (August 2022 – October/November 2022)
- Previous experience on the Lead with Pride Planning Committee and/or attending Lead with Pride is an asset
This position will be recorded on your Co-Curricular Record (CCR).
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED.
Lead with Pride is made possible by UofT affinity sponsors: Manulife, MBNA, and TD Insurance
Learn more about the benefits of affinity products: http://affinity.utoronto.ca/