Queer University of Toronto Employees (QUTE) is an employee resource group for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) staff and faculty who work at the University of Toronto. Run by a small team of volunteers, the organizing committee plans a variety of social and networking events. New volunteers are always welcome.
Fill out this form to join the QUTE Listserv to stay connected with our ongoing activities:
- June 7, 2016: QUTE Summer Social & Drop-In Lunch
- June 28, 2015: QUTE Marches in the Toronto Pride Parade with U of T
- October 16, 2014: QUTE Pub Night @ House-Maison
- July 15, 2014: QUTE (Queer U of T Employees) Summer Social & Lunch Buffet
- June 29, 2014: QUTE Marches in 2014 Toronto World Pride Parade with U of T
- March 4, 2014: QUTE Film Night @ TIFF Bell Lightbox for Screening of Valentine Road
- March 11, 2014: QUTE Lunch @ UTSC
- June 13, 2013: QUTE Pub Night @ The Vic Public House
- November 14, 2012: QUTE Reception
- August 14, 2012: “With Somebody Who Loves me: A Gay Danical” Theatre outing at the Tarragon Theatre
- May 28, 2012: “Being an Out Employee at U of T” panel & QUTE spring social
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an Employee Resource Group (ERG)?
An Employee Resource Group is an informal network of employees who share a common identity, characteristic, or set of interests. Employee Resource Groups develop to provide members with opportunities to meet, network and build community. Employees may participate in initiatives and activities that contribute towards the growth of the network and the workplace environment.
What could an ERG do?
- Provide a network that supports professional development and mentoring of LGBTQ employees
- Nurture a network that supports the retention of sexual minority employees
- Make recommendations for employee recruitment from the LGBTQ communities by identifying new services and outreach opportunities to the LGBTQ communities
- Make recommendations on approaches to expand and sustain more equitable and positive work environments for LGBTQ employees
- Respond to the university of emerging concerns, directions and/or opportunities
Why have an LGBTQ-specific ERG?
The University of Toronto is a large and decentralized place of employment, and U of T employees work in incredibly diverse settings, across three campuses. Many employees have very few opportunities to meet and network with their colleagues across the University.
The establishment of QUTE arose out of a response from employees who were interested in participating in the group. The group’s establishment was unequivocally endorsed by the senior leadership of the University of Toronto through the Vice-President, Human Resources & Equity. The first few years of QUTE were made possible through the University Advancement Partnerships and funding from TD Meloche Monnex for 2009-2010 and 2010-2011.
What is the organizational structure of QUTE?
QUTE is a relatively informal gathering for employees. There is a small group of volunteers involved in the organizing committee who help to organize and plan for annual events. New volunteers are welcome.